Reviewing a Verbal Recording
스레드 게시자: bborthayre
Aug 5, 2010

Hola Friends!

Can you help me with this question? A client had a script translated from english to spanish and then had the script recorded on a CD in Spanish. The client wants me to review the recordings and ensure that the vocal talent is not using regional slang or colloquial experessions that would be hard for people in other parts of Latin America to understand. This is eight hours of recording. I have never done anything like this, can anyone tell me what in the world to c
... See more
Hola Friends!

Can you help me with this question? A client had a script translated from english to spanish and then had the script recorded on a CD in Spanish. The client wants me to review the recordings and ensure that the vocal talent is not using regional slang or colloquial experessions that would be hard for people in other parts of Latin America to understand. This is eight hours of recording. I have never done anything like this, can anyone tell me what in the world to charge or how to charge? Thanks so much!! Blaire
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
브라질
Local time: 06:29
영어에서 포르투갈어
+ ...
추도문
The oldest profession Aug 5, 2010

This is an uncanny request. Most likely you'll never have to do this kind of work again. So the way to decide how much to charge for it has to be theoretical.

Do you know why the "oldest profession in the world" is still so, while e-commerce has deprived many thousands of traditional salespeople of a job?

Because those professional ladies sell their time.

Of course, each one may have a different rate
... See more
This is an uncanny request. Most likely you'll never have to do this kind of work again. So the way to decide how much to charge for it has to be theoretical.

Do you know why the "oldest profession in the world" is still so, while e-commerce has deprived many thousands of traditional salespeople of a job?

Because those professional ladies sell their time.

Of course, each one may have a different rate, but what they will do in this time is open to negotiation. Some will rather not make that money if they are expected to do anything deemed "unsafe". Likewise, on this time-based payment you might refuse to do anything you consider unethical.

So, all you have to find out is how much your hour is worth. Don't forget to add taxes and other unavoidable expenses you may have.

Okay, to check if the speaker has an undesirable accent, one minute may suffice. So you might do it for free,expecting some goodwill from the client on the next job they have.

However your client might need you to listen to the full 8 hours to make sure that the accent-free speaker was not replaced by someone else on the long run. So, multiply your hourly rate by 8, and you'll have an estimate of the total. In this case, I hope the subject matter is interesting!
Collapse

bborthayre
bborthayre
주제 스타터
Gracias Jose Aug 5, 2010

Your points are well taken and indeed I have offered to do it at no cost since the client is already giving me $5,000 in translation work. I appreciate your feedback very much!
Blaire

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
태국
Local time: 16:29
영어에서 타이어
+ ...
Judgment criteria Aug 6, 2010

I am not have arguments on hourly pricing policy for this type of job but what is the judgment criteria on accents, dialects etc. Will your only opinion is sufficient OR will you need the 2nd and the 3rd reviewers for a fair assessment?

Best regards,

Soonthon L.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reviewing a Verbal Recording

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »