Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 09:53
English to German
Jul 23, 2010

Good morning,

I just got this from a friend who works at the European Commission in Brussels:

http://ec.europa.eu/unitedkingdom/press/frontpage/100720a_en.htm

he explicitly asked me to spread the word, so here it is.

Best,
Ricki

[Bearbeitet am 2010-07-23 07:20 GMT]

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 04:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Editors Jul 23, 2010

Be aware that they are not looking for translators but for English editors.

I quote:
"The European Commission is looking for freelance editors who can revise Commission documents drafted in English. The documents cover a wide range of subject areas relating to the core business of the European Union, sometimes involving very technical issues which require editing of very high standards.

The editors will form a roster of freelancers to provide support to the team
... See more
Be aware that they are not looking for translators but for English editors.

I quote:
"The European Commission is looking for freelance editors who can revise Commission documents drafted in English. The documents cover a wide range of subject areas relating to the core business of the European Union, sometimes involving very technical issues which require editing of very high standards.

The editors will form a roster of freelancers to provide support to the team of permanent editing staff as when demand for such services arises.
"
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Editors Jul 23, 2010

^Well, the thread title says so as well.

Thanks for sharing, Ricki, in the name of English-speaking colleagues.

[Edited at 2010-07-23 16:01 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:53
Member (2008)
Italian to English
They do need editors badly! Jul 24, 2010

Quote from the website:

"......sometimes involving very technical issues which require editing of very high standards.

The editors will form a roster of freelancers to provide support to the team of permanent editing staff as when demand for such services arises."

That text in itself contains two very obvious mistakes !

Anyway I see applications close in 2013 so I won't be panicking to get my application in.

See more
Quote from the website:

"......sometimes involving very technical issues which require editing of very high standards.

The editors will form a roster of freelancers to provide support to the team of permanent editing staff as when demand for such services arises."

Anyway I see applications close in 2013 so I won't be panicking to get my application in.

Collapse

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
It may take that long to complete the application process, Tom. Jul 24, 2010

Is it just me? Or does it seem like almost too much trouble to apply for this job? http://ted.europa.eu/udl?uri=TED:NOTICE:203561-2010:TEXT:EN:HTML

I don't think this much information is required when you run for President of the US....

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Applications Jul 24, 2010

Tom in London wrote:

Well, they clearly state that the freelancer list is valid until 30 June 2013 (i.e. those selected in this procedure are eligible to work for the EC until 30 June 2013). So, if you want to work for them only in June 2013, apply in 2013. If you'd like to receive work throughout 2011 and 2012, I'd recommend applying now.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Who dares, wins. Jul 24, 2010

Tom in London wrote:

Quote from the website:

An open competition for translators has been announced.
Why don't you participate? If you succeed in the competition, their texts might become flawless.

First, you have to pass the preselection tests (verbal, numerical, abstract reasoning) and a 2 verbal tests, which-it goes without saying-are not in your native language, but one in French or German and another one in a language of choice.

If you do, you will be invited to an assessment centre where you can prove how good you are by passing the translation tests from two foreign languages into English, your native tongue, followed by a battery of personality tests.
The price: a "real" translation-career with ample opportunities to climb the career-ladder.
Qui audet adipiscitur.

[Edited at 2010-07-24 13:47 GMT]

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
I love Brussels, but I never applied ... Jul 24, 2010

Hi,

the editing job I linked to is not for editing translations, but for editing texts written in English by (multinational) members and employees of the European Commission. Which might also explain the mistakes in the help-wanted website itself.

Williamson, do you have a link to the current concours for translators, if there is one? Perhaps some of us do want to apply - Brussels is a very nice place to live, very multilingual, nice art-nouveau houses, lovely fl
... See more
Hi,

the editing job I linked to is not for editing translations, but for editing texts written in English by (multinational) members and employees of the European Commission. Which might also explain the mistakes in the help-wanted website itself.

Williamson, do you have a link to the current concours for translators, if there is one? Perhaps some of us do want to apply - Brussels is a very nice place to live, very multilingual, nice art-nouveau houses, lovely fleamarkets and antiques, friendly atmosphere, good beer, good food, nice parks and surrounding landscape but to apply, you have to know every little detail about the EU, and you must be willing to translate intentionally ambiguous texts into similarly ambiguous texts in another language.

Best,
Ricki

[Bearbeitet am 2010-07-24 14:21 GMT]
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Don't you "love" to be a freelancer? Jul 24, 2010

Do not we all “love” being a freelancer? Nevertheless, when push comes to shove, the freelance translators, who pass (ed) the Open competitions (E.U.) or Competitive Exams (U.N.), are no longer available for freelance work. When a competition bonanza took place due to the accession round of the past decade, some freelancers present here passed and lost their lov
... See more

Do not we all “love” being a freelancer? Nevertheless, when push comes to shove, the freelance translators, who pass (ed) the Open competitions (E.U.) or Competitive Exams (U.N.), are no longer available for freelance work. When a competition bonanza took place due to the accession round of the past decade, some freelancers present here passed and lost their love for freelancing.

The E.U.-institutions offer real career-possibilities, that fact that you are recognized by the public as a "real professional" oh, you work as a translator for the EU/UN evokes another reaction than I am a self-employed freelance translator, working at home
because you have nothing better to do, interesting colleagues coming from all over Europe, a decent pay and benefits and when you retire a decent pension, which what only the most successful freelancers who invested their hard-earned money will have at age 60 or 65.

I do not work at the EU. I was only of the +1000 candidates, who participated in preselection tests (old style, where knowledge of the E.U. was required), but never found the time to train them properly, because I can't do three things at the same time. These tests are feasible if you start practicing them about 6 months before the exam and if you translate in the target-language, in my case English. Should I miraculously pass the preselection tests, then the proof of the pudding (translation) will be the eating and not the native-only dogma.
A previous result old style: well, I passed the preselection tests (were in English and French, not my native tongues) but given that you are not among the xxx best candidates, you are not allowed to participate in the next round. Now, they replaced this with 8/10 on numerical and analytical. Detailed knowledge of the E.U. has been abolished, although you might get some general questions in the assessment-centre, if you are lucky to get that far.

Give it a shot. Who dares, wins (maybe). Doesn't the fact that you have to pass 2 verbal tests, which are not in your native tongue constitute an obstacle?

If I read the announcement correctly, those who have English as main language have to obtain 8/10 on numerical and analytical questions. Whether it is the case for German, I do not know. Anyhow, start practicing on verbal, numerical, analytical and verbal 2 and 3 (French, English).

Brussels: A good environment at least in some districts (Bezirke, Gemeinde) (Grande Place, Rue des Bouchers, centre), but some districts are not safe at all. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYDuSptRR00 ).

Best of luck.

[Edited at 2010-07-25 13:58 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

EU Commission: Freelance editors wanted (for English) - apply now

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »